Table of Contents
C programming is a very powerful general-purpose programming language. It can be used to develop software like operating systems, databases, compilers, etc.
If you are new to programming, C is a good choice to start your programming journey.
Why Learn C Programming?
C programing language may be a must for each programmer and dealing professionals to become an excellent programmer especially once they are working in Software Development.
Every beginner starts their journey from c programming because it’s considered because the base for other programming languages, that’s why it’s referred to as the mother language
Easy to learn
It can handle low-level activities
It can be compiled.
History of Programming
- The root of all modern languages is ALGOL, introduced in the early 1960s. ALGOL was the first computer language to use a block structure. Although it never becomes popular in the USA, it was widely used in Europe.ALGOL gave the concept of structured programming to the computer science community. computer scientiests like Corrado Bohm, Guiseppe Jacopini and Edsger Dijkstra popularized this cocept during 1960s.
- In 1967, Martin Richards developed a language called BCPL,(Basic combined programming language) primarily for writing system software. In 1970, Ken Thompson created a language using many features of BCPL and it is called simply B. B was used to the created an early version of the UNIX operating system at Bell Laboratories. Both BCPL and B were “typeless” system programming languages.
- C was evolved from ALGOL, BCPL, and B by Dennis Ritchie at the Bell laboratories in 1972. C uses many concepts from these languages and added the concept of data types and other powerful features. Science was developed along with the UNIX operating system, it is strongly associated with UNIX. This operating system, which was also developed at Bell laboratories, was coded almost entirely in C.UNIX is one of the most popular network operating systems in use today and the heart of the Internet data superhighway.
- During the 1970s, C has evolved into what is now known as “Traditional C”. The language became more popular after the publication of the book “The C programming language” by Brian Kerningham and Denis Ritchie in 1978.
- During the 1990s, C++, a language entirely supported C, underwent variety of improvements and changes and become an ANSI/ISO-approved language in November 1977.C++ added several new features to C to form it not only a real object-oriented language but also a more versatile language.
1960 ALGOL. International Group
1967 BCPL Martin Richards
1970 B Ken Thompson
1972. Trditional of C Dennis Ritchie